Friday, April 18, 2008

Robot Doctors: Right or Wrong?

We have made our position of robots' place in human society quite clear. So now we're going to apply our Bot Ethics to a real world development: Robot Doctors. Theoretically, it does make sense that robots would serve their human masters by helping them stay healthy and alive. HOWEVER, can we really be sure that this is their true intention? What motives lie behind their LCD-panel faces? Take a look at the above image: is this "doctor" checking for vital signs, or is it making sure its human victim is dead? If I saw one of those things coming my way, I wouldn't wait to find out. Robot doctors are in direct violation of the Second Tenet of Bot Ethics: "Under no circumstances should a bot be placed in a position of power, even over other bots; all require human management." God help me if one of those things ever gets near me to "fix me up."

No comments: